Home Page

Welcome to...


'This School continues to be Good' -Ofsted November 2017


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?



Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this would mean:

  • ​The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and understands.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using  more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be recommended by the SENCo or other professionals) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child's teacher will have carefully checked on their progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention which may mean:

  • Sessions run in the classroom or group room/area.
  • Sessions led by a teacher or a teaching assistant.


Individual SEN Support Plans

When a child is identified as having a Special Educational Need, they are given an Individual SEN Support Plan to address their barriers to learning. We follow the Assess / Plan / Do / Review cycle which involves a collaborative approach from the class teacher and support staff, the child themselves, parents and the SENCo. The child's biggest barrier to learning is identified through assessment and an intervention in planned and implemented. The children take responsibility of choosing something related to their barrier to learning that they have achieved each week, and record this in their SEN support plan books. At the end of each cycle of support we review the intervention and the progress that each child has made. This is then communicated with the child and their parents and the next cycle of support will be planned. 


Specialist Support provided by outside agencies

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • ​Local Authority central services such as ASD team or Sensory service (for pupils with a hearing or visual need).
  • School funded services such as Education Psychologists and support from specialists based in complex needs schools (School 2 School Support).
  • Health related services such as Speech and Language therapist, Occupational therapist, Mental Health services (CAMHS).


What might happen:

  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This will help the school and you to understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will visit your child in school and meet with parents to understand the child's needs and make recommendations as to the ways in which your child may be given support


Specified Individual Support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group support. The main Education Health and Care Plan Co-ordinator allocated to our school is Tracey Mills.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and Intervention groups.

Your child will also require specialist support from professionals outside the school.


For your child this would mean:

  • ​The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been submitted, a Panel of Professionals (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you) will decide whether they think your child's needs (as described in the paperwork provided) seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child's needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After reports have been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child's needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education, Health and Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and set up a plan to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHCP will outline what type of support should be used and the strategies that  must be put in place. It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.
  • Any additional adult assigned may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


Specialist Resource Base

The school has a Specialist Resource Base for children on the Autistic Spectrum. This is a county resource and places are only assigned following a decision made at a Local Authority Panel meeting. The base has places for 16 children and is staffed by a team of teachers and teaching assistants. Children are integrated into the school wherever possible and access all of the school's facilities. Admission to the main school has no bearing on the decision for a placement within the SRB.

School email addresses; Secretary:, Front Office:, Absences:, Mrs Hodge: SRB: Check the School Calendar for Clubs, Trips, Events and More!